Hello From Africa

emekadavid

Hi, I am from lagos, Nigeria. A friend introduced me to this website.

I love translating and I am passionate about subtitle translations from french to english.

I came here so I can collaborate and show off some of the subtitles I have done at home using Subtitle Edit.

Hello, once again and I believe I will enjoy and develop myself on this forum.

i wonder if I can show someone my works? I have attached a text file of a subtitle translation, first 18 minutes of a movie.

Bonjour

subtitle1_fr.txt

Hello there!  :)

Welcome. If your raison d'être here is to translate from French to English, I'm afraid your self-inclusion will prove unsatisfactory to you as most translations on Addic7ed are based on their English subs—mainly made by the Addic7ed team. Provided that your endeavour doesn't consist in creating subs for French series, translating, syncing and offering them to the community, of course.

I moved your thread to the French section where you will find myriad of information, since the sub you submitted is in French, kind of contradictory to your previous statement...

About your sample, I just took a glance, but there's room for improvement, to say the least. Idioms and syntaxes are less than acceptable for many, same goes for syncing, punctuation, section, Google translation(?), etc.

But with will, anyone can become a connoisseur in a snap! Let our peers be the judge.

Upon thorough review, and bluntly speaking, your subtitles are appalling.

I wouldn't advise you to translate nor create subtitles for Addic7ed before learning the basics, or the ban hammer might thrust upon your account before you know it.

You can find some tutorials here, and especially

Good luck.

Hello there!  :)

Welcome. If your raison d'être here is to translate from French to English, I'm afraid your self-inclusion will prove unsatisfactory to you as most translations on Addic7ed are based on their English subs—mainly made by the Addic7ed team. Provided that your endeavour doesn't consist in creating subs for French series, translating, syncing and offering them to the community, of course.

I moved your thread to the French section where you will find myriad of information, since the sub you submitted is in French, kind of contradictory to your previous statement...

About your sample, I just took a glance, but there's room for improvement, to say the least. Idioms and syntaxes are less than acceptable for many, same goes for syncing, punctuation, section, Google translation(?), etc.

But with will, anyone can become a connoisseur in a snap! Let our peers be the judge.

I really came here to learn how to add subtitles to translated english films or videos. Is this forum restricted only to selected tv series? Please, I am just new. Thanks.

I wouldn't advise you to translate nor create subtitles for Addic7ed before learning the basics, or the ban hammer might thrust upon your account before you know it.

Good luck.

As a beginner to Addic7ed, where do I start from? I'm reading the basics. I came here to learn subtitling but think??? the subject is limited to select tv series, or am I wrong? Thanks

Good luck.

I couldn't concentrate after reading your reply. Please, taytoy, what about the subtitle is appalling? I am really interested in an answer: is it the subject matter or my translation or both. Please, an honest answer. I can accept insults even, particularly rebuke. We all have to learn from somewhere, and I'm ready and willing to. Thanks.

emekadavid,

Poursuivons en français.

Je vais te répondre simplement, sans abuser des quotes. .

Comme taytoy te l'a déjà expliqué :

* La team Addic7ed fournit des sous-titres de séries en VO.

Libre aux utilisateurs de les traduire (dans leur langue maternelle, comme tout bon traducteur).

* Les règles de traduction se trouvent .

* Pour ajouter des sous-titres, tu trouveras ton bonheur ici.

* Pour plus d'infos sur l'interface, le qui fait quoi etc., c'est .

Concernant les sous-titres que tu proposes :

* La synchro n'est pas adaptée.

* Les découpages sont arbitraires (point C des).

* Les règles de ponctuation ne sont pas respectées (point E).

De (trop) nombreuses phrases ne veulent absolument rien dire : "Je veux que ce.", "Un je ne connais pas?", "Vous ne pouvez pas m'avez rencontré", "Allez-vous prendre l'entreprise de mon père, construit toute sa vie de sa veuve?", "Vérifiez quelle est-elle?", "Où, vous cédez la place à moi".

C'est sur ce point que le bât blesse. Nous n'avons pas de post solution miracle, si ce n'est l'abstention. 

• Like 1