Automatic Subtitle download + synchronization

Overdrivr

Hello all,

First of all, this is my first post here and I'd like to thanks all the people behind addic7ed and making the subs for their hard work. Truly thanks.

The reason I'm posting is that I'm currently building an open-source tool (not exposed yet, next week probably) that can synchronize subtitles of any TV series (or movies) automatically, using machine learning, and with a very good accuracy. I've tested it on many TV episodes and it works very well, almost flawlessly. Takes about 30 seconds to synchronize, which isn't much compared to manual subtitle search.

I've seen somewhere that addic7ed is thinking about providing an API for retrieving subtitles. Do you have more information about this ? This would be truly great, as I could go a step further and implement this in the tool, to directly retrieve a subtitle for a given movie + synchronize it. However, the consequence will be that users would not go to the addic7ed website and that bothers me. What do you feel would be right in the tool to compensate for it ? A link to the website feels like the bare minimum. Let me know if you have something better in mind.

Best,

• Like 2

Hello there!

First of all, thank you for your contribution to the subtitle scene and OSS. 

You are a bit ahead of us since we're still working on the API (in Addic7ed time, our usual release time -for everything- is 'when it's done). 

I can't tell you for sure when the API will be released. 

Indeed the API would lower website traffic and increase needed resources so we're still figuring that one out. 

I'll send you a PM once we're done or close to finish, that should help :-) 

We can also test your app if you want. We're always excited about new subtitle software and increase our productivity, and your program seems a perfect match :-)

Cheers!

• Like 1

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Hello there!

First of all, thank you for your contribution to the subtitle scene and OSS. 

You are a bit ahead of us since we're still working on the API (in Addic7ed time, our usual release time -for everything- is 'when it's done). 

I can't tell you for sure when the API will be released. 

Indeed the API would lower website traffic and increase needed resources so we're still figuring that one out. 

I'll send you a PM once we're done or close to finish, that should help :-) 

We can also test your app if you want. We're always excited about new subtitle software and increase our productivity, and your program seems a perfect match :-)

Cheers!

​BTW I'm the developer of Bazarr, a subtitles downloading tools. Since you added this reCaptcha, our user aren't able to use addic7ed as subtitle provider in Bazarr. I'm really interested in this new API you are working on.

Of course, I guess that using an API would be less intensive on your server farm than scrapping the website. I don't have stats for addic7ed but I can tell you that Bazarr is currently making around 20 millions of request to OpenSubtitles every week. I'm pretty sure you'll benefit from decrease the impact of those kind of numbers on your infrastructure.

Thanks for providing fantastic subtitles to the community!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the cool feedback, love it !

Some beta testing would be so welcomed, I've identified a few gotchas that still remain to be fixed but overall synchronization works well on the shows I've tested (Game of Thrones, Entourage, Parks & Rec, etc.), but I've mostly tested with English audio and on Windows.

The tool can be found at this url: https://captionpal.org/

@Alex28 thanks for the feedback on the API, in fact I found a python package called addic7ed-cli that provides some python API of addic7ed, so it's pretty much transparent for me. However I did not check how this package interacts with addic7ed.com, most likely it scrapes the page. I hope it's okay for you. In any case, feel free to send me a PM when the API is ready and I'll make the required changes to ensure the tool uses it.

Cheers !

• Like 1

New version is out, 0.10.0. It's now possible to download subtitles in any languages found on addic7ed (not just french and english like it used to be) :)

By the way, this new version gives me another idea, would love to get some feedback on it !

Depending on the show and the dialect, some languages are not available. I was thinking to provide a fallback in the application, by using deepl (https://www.deepl.com/translator) to translate automatically from a subtitle found on addic7ed to another language. Deepl does not support all addic7ed languages, but in some cases it might be interesting. However, their translation engine kicks ass, it is very impressive. What do you think ?

Cheers friends,

• 7 months later...

This would be so very much welcome for me.  I spent a TON of time trying to synchronize subtitles from a different release.  The problem is that it's not just a few different points where they are out of sync (like when it breaks for commercials).  When that is the case, I can fix it myself without much trouble.  But, when every single line is wrong, it takes a ton of time for just one episode, let alone the other 21-22 in a season!  But, sadly, on the very first file I tried (The Mentalist (2008) - S02E16 - Code Red (1080p AMZN WEB-DL x265 RZeroX)), it did not work.  I already uninstalled it before I happened across this post here, but it said something like "could not correlate audio".  Does it work with 10bit audio files?  I recently got a new soundbar, and I am trying to replace my files with the best quality I can find.  Thanks in advance if there's any chance you might be able to help.

• 1 month later...

This is truly an amazing piece of software. We be awesome if it could be integrated with Kodi. Looking at the source code, I see it's written in python. So adding it as an add-on wouldn't be far fetched.

What do you think of that?