Borgen Season 3

blaraka

And here they are: the first English subtitles for Borgen, Season 3. Please note it's episode 2

Lots of thanks to mcilou (and his Danish friend) for the Danish transcripts, and micapam for the .srt. I tried to fix all continuity errors and long sentences, but if you guys see anything wrong with either the timing or the translation, please let me know and I'll update the file immediately. 

I'll probably be done translating ep 1 tomorrow evening. Transforming the text into a usable .srt will probably take another day. Until then, you'll have to wait (or just watch episode 2 first ;) ) When the file is completed I'll make sure to send it to everyone requesting it here.

thanks for your great work on the borgen s03e02 subtitles, i woud be grateful if you could send me anymore borgen season 3 subtitles that you have completed, thanks again.

thx for the translation and subtitles. add me to the list :)

What Release are you using for episode 1? Borgen.S03E01.PROPER.DANiSH.HDTV.x264-RCDiVX or Borgen.S03E01.DANiSH.720p.HDTV.x264-DTV? Or is there another one?

And for episode 2,3 etc. RCDiVX / TVBYEN ?

Good work. Episode 1 will be a couple of days then?
Thanks for this.

Yep, translating Ep 2 cost me about 5-6 hours in total. ;)

And I just started translating Ep 1:

00:00:03: Birgitte: You knew Bent had had a small blood clot in the spring and that he shouldn't burden himself too much. You failed to tell me, for your own interests. Look me in the eye and say that it wasn't also you, who tried to discredit me by telling the Ekspres I had prior knowledge of Bent's illness.
00:00:15: Birgitte: I can guarantee Kruse won't sit on a ministerial chair in my government.
00:00:18: Kasper: You can't fire him in the midst of all this, he's your number two and your EU minister, it stinks.
00:00:23: Birgitte: ”I just talked to our party secretary and told him to support you for the vice presidency. You have to take over the post of EU minister.
00:00:31: Katrine: ”You can't be unaware that I'm 31 years old and probably want to have children.
00:00:38: Kasper: I love you.
00:00:41: Birgitte: I think you ran away too quickly.
00:00:43: Phillip: ”Birgitte, you weren't here, you were gone 24 hours a day.
00:00:48: Birgitte: Of course it didn't work well immediately, I just became prime minister!
00:00:52: Birgitte: You know where you to find me, don't you?
00:01:00: Bent: No one ever praises the prime minister, it's always the PM dishing out compliments. So now I'm praising you. You did a fucking great job.
00:01:08: Birgitte: Today we've shown what we want with Denmark. I'm very happy about and proud of that, and therefore I'll now leave it up to the Danish people who they think, is the best prime minister for Denmark.
00:01:20: Birgitte: I hereby declare elections to be held on Tuesday, June 11th.
  • Like 5

I used a **** that was called 'Borgen S03E02.mp4'. The file itself is called the same. It's about half a second early all the way through because the guy who timed it used a different version, so I delayed it 500 ms and then everything works out fine. 

For ep 1, I'm currently using the one fitting the timing of the Danish transcript best, which is 720p DTV release.

Hi,

Please add me to this list.  I love BORGEN and have been watching season 3, trying to guess what is being said!  Danish television is awesome, judging from The Killing and Borgen.  

Thanks for whatever you can do,

Susanna in Washington, DC

• Like 1

Hi,

Please add me to this list.  I love BORGEN and have been watching season 3, trying to guess what is being said!  Danish television is awesome, judging from The Killing and Borgen.  

Thanks for whatever you can do,

Susanna in Washington, DC

Well to give a little hint: the véry first line I had to translate for Ep 1, was:

"Two and a half years later."

Maybe you should upload to addic7ed.com and other popular subtitle sites? There are many Borgen lovers out there waiting...

I'm going to do that as soon as the Ep 1 srt is done. :)

Congrats to the translation team, i started learning danish to even understand about 5% of the series, but waiting for episode 1, i just listen to 2, and the guy is absolutely happy, if we can get a team working on the whole series we will have season 3 translated in no time and up to date with DR1

Well done superworm! Took me a bit of a while to get episode 2 into a valid SRT file but now I've written a Ruby script to expedite the process so as soon as superworm has episode 1 translation done it will take me literally five minutes.

Can't wait! :)

Great work micapam, superworm - collaboration alive and well - looking forward to re-watching episode 1 with subs. I tried without a few weeks ago and ... well... i definitely don't speak danish. Funny how until then one has an illusory impression of one's linguistic powers, and comes to expect one's subconsciousness to have developed an innate ability to subtitle. Oh well. Cheers!

Your post made me lol, very recognizable. The one huge advantage of Danish when you're translating it while you don't even speak it, is that the structure is so much the same as English. For example ('fer exemple'), the sentence "Jeg synes jo også at vi skal lægge fortiden bag os" literally Google Translates, word for word, into "I think of course also that we should put the past behind us." The biggest surprise subtitling these episode was then, how close this language really is (gramatically, verbally, expressions and sayings used, etc.) to the languages I know best (Dutch and English). Some other examples I noticed during series 1 and 2:

fatherland – faetherland
thanks for now – tak for noe
simple slurs – simpel slurn
we are – we are
May I come in? – may I kom in
thirsty – thirsty
welfare – welfèr
plant a tree – plant a try
leave now – lea noo
tuesday – tuusday
welcome to ... – welcome to ...
also – also
for example – fer exempfle
insisted – insiste
dedicated – dedica'e
smile – smeal
order – o'hder
to speed up the process – for speede processen ob
knifes and pistols – kneve oo peestohle
I took the ball– ee took ball
come away from the window – come weg von dem window
them & us – dem & os
full EU backing/support – full-backning von EU

Great work micapam, superworm - collaboration alive and well - looking forward to re-watching episode 1 with subs. I tried without a few weeks ago and ... well... i definitely don't speak danish. Funny how until then one has an illusory impression of one's linguistic powers, and comes to expect one's subconsciousness to have developed an innate ability to subtitle. Oh well. Cheers!