Subtitle Edit (open source subtitle editor)

Nikse

1. Yeah, shortcut is OK now.
2. Still doesn't restore for me. It's funny: just after update, the position was restored, but after next reopenings the video and waveform are still at the start, though selected lines are restored.

3. Just a small issue: if I undock the windows and close SE, it restores coordinates and size of undicked windows. However if I dock the windows, close SE, open it and try to undock again, the windows have the default coordinates and size again (crowded in the left up corner). Could SE remember my coordinates and size of undocked windows forever?

New version: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip
2+3 should work better now.

Hi, Nikse

1. I've just translated all the Language.xml. May be the instruction in the site needs some update — SE looks for translation in the folder "Languages" now (or it is only the 3.2a case?). I have two problems in my testing.

a. There are some new strings in the 3.2a. If SE doesn't find a translation, it puts a blank line instead (may be it will be better to put English string in such cases?). Could you post a new Language.xml with new strings?

b. Russian words are much longer than English words. It seems that geometry of SE controls is hardcoded for English strings. Russian strings don't fit into the controls, producing a mess in the GUI. How can I solve it?

2. If I select VLC as a video engine and undock the player, the mouse click on the video doesn't work (for pause/play).

3. If I select DirectShow and open a video (avi) with two audio tracks, both the tracks sound simultaneously. To avoid this I must enable a stream switcher in the ffdshow audio decoder settings, but after that I have problems in the MPC-HC (the player doesn't see all the tracks). Is there any way to split the tracks in SE with DirectShow without ffdshow stream switcher (as MPC-HC does)?

3. As for my request about fitting the video window according to 100% video resolution. I use SE not only for translation and synchronization, I also view foreign subtitled movies in it (it is much easier to select and translate words with computer dictionaries). I know it is a widespread using of subtitle soft. And some video facilities (as video 1:1 fitting) would be highly appreciated :)

1. I've just translated all the Language.xml. May be the instruction in the site needs some update — SE looks for translation in the folder "Languages" now (or it is only the 3.2a case?). I have two problems in my testing.

a. There are some new strings in the 3.2a. If SE doesn't find a translation, it puts a blank line instead (may be it will be better to put English string in such cases?). Could you post a new Language.xml with new strings?

b. Russian words are much longer than English words. It seems that geometry of SE controls is hardcoded for English strings. Russian strings don't fit into the controls, producing a mess in the GUI. How can I solve it?

2. If I select VLC as a video engine and undock the player, the mouse click on the video doesn't work (for pause/play).

3. If I select DirectShow and open a video (avi) with two audio tracks, both the tracks sound simultaneously. To avoid this I must enable a stream switcher in the ffdshow audio decoder settings, but after that I have problems in the MPC-HC (the player doesn't see all the tracks). Is there any way to split the tracks in SE with DirectShow without ffdshow stream switcher (as MPC-HC does)?

3. As for my request about fitting the video window according to 100% video resolution. I use SE not only for translation and synchronization, I also view foreign subtitled movies in it (it is much easier to select and translate words with computer dictionaries). I know it is a widespread using of subtitle soft. And some video facilities (as video 1:1 fitting) would be highly appreciated :)

1) SE 3.2 is not ready for final translation - it's still pre beta (for a short while). The description of the home page matches SE 3.1.
1a) I'm currently working in SE 3.2, and a few new language tags are added each week. I usually freeze the language file in RCs (after beta).
1b) Well, I guess it's not easy!

2) OK, will look at it later.

3) OK, added here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (Alt+A in undocked video player is resize to 1:1)

Language.zip

2 Nikse

1. Well, I shall wait till RC then and try to shrink all the long translated strings for the final Language.xml. Could you post it here after RC freezing if you please?
2. And in the DirectShow mode in the video menu there isn't any entry for audio track selecting (in the VLC mode there is).
3. Great! Thank you for your kindness! Have a good summertime :)

2 Nikse

1. Well, I shall wait till RC then and try to shrink all the long translated strings for the final Language.xml. Could you post it here after RC freezing if you please?
2. And in the DirectShow mode in the video menu there isn't any entry for audio track selecting (in the VLC mode there is).
3. Great! Thank you for your kindness! Have a good summertime :)

1) OK, I'll try to remember to post news about the RC here.

2) Don't know how...

3) You too :)

SE 3.2 Beta 1 is out now: http://code.google.com/p/subtitleedit/downloads/list
Change log: http://code.google.com/p/subtitleedit/source/browse/trunk/src/ChangeLog.txt

Ok, you had enough rest from me :D

I have a request: could you add to the right mouse click menu an option like "Insert unicode symbols", just like Bold or Italic options are right now?

I mean, it is a little bit annoying to point cursor at the end or start of a line, then to go to Edit-Insert unicode symbols.
It is easier to select a line and use the right mouse click, to remove unicode symbol or to automatically add those symbols at the start and the end of the line, as it works for Bold and Italic options, don't you think so? :D

Many thanks Nik,

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Ok, you had enough rest from me :D

I have a request: could you add to the right mouse click menu an option like "Insert unicode symbols", just like Bold or Italic options are right now?

I mean, it is a little bit annoying to point cursor at the end or start of a line, then to go to Edit-Insert unicode symbols.
It is easier to select a line and use the right mouse click, to remove unicode symbol or to automatically add those symbols at the start and the end of the line, as it works for Bold and Italic options, don't you think so? :D

Hi doc, nice to see you are still using SE - and not have been eaten/assimilated by a spam bot :)

Sure, is included here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip - SE 3.2 beta 1½ ;)

Hi doc, nice to see you are still using SE - and not have been eaten/assimilated by a spam bot :)

Sure, is included here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip - SE 3.2 beta 1½ ;)

LOL, I'm too big for a little bot :D
Thanks for your quick answer.

One more thing: as we discussed about interjection remove option, maybe, in the new version of SE, you might include a standalone interjection dictionary, just like names or user dictionary.
Right now, this remove interjections option doesn't work well.
But, if you have time, we will "chat" :) about that :) .

BTW, do you think I will use another subtitle editor after all that testing work on your "child"? :D

Friendly,
doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

2 Nikse

1. Could you please add a drag-and-drop functionality between SE subtitles text fields and other applications? It will be useful for translation interaction between SE and installed local digital dictionaries (as the ABBYY Lingvo), for example.

2. If I double click on a word, could SE select just this word only, without punctuation marks and spaces (may be as an option, as in the MS Word)? It will be useful not only for the same purpose (dictionaries interaction), the word replacement and other editing will be much easier.

• 2 months later...

Hi. How can I edit the OCR bitmap library (in the "VobSub\" folder)?
Most subtitle OCR programs offer a editing tool in the GUI but I couldn't find one in Subtitle Edit.
Is there none and I have to edit the data manually in the CompareDescription.xml file?
Thank you

Hi. How can I edit the OCR bitmap library (in the "VobSub\" folder)?
Most subtitle OCR programs offer a editing tool in the GUI but I couldn't find one in Subtitle Edit.
Is there none and I have to edit the data manually in the CompareDescription.xml file?
Thank you

Hi!

You can click on the "Edit" button when you are importing VobSub files.
SE 3.2 will have improved "image compare ocr", so do try this beta update: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (overwrite existing files in SE folder)
One new function is, right click in the list view and choose "Inspect image compare matches for current image...".
Also, now you change last input during ocr.

post-114-015756800 1313726881_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

SE 3.2 RC1 is out now: http://subtitleedit.googlecode.com/files/SE32RC1.zip

This release contains mostly fixes - especially for history/undo/waveform + edit of original subtitle + yet more subtitle formats (SE now supports 60+ formats!).

Doc... could you update the Romanian language file again? :blink:

I'll do it, but give me some time :) .

Anyway, you released a new version but without approval! :)
Just tell me when you have an extra time to spend (don't say you don't have :) ), I have some... suggestions :D.

doc

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

I'll do it, but give me some time :) .

Super!

Anyway, you released a new version but without approval! :)
Just tell me when you have an extra time to spend (don't say you don't have :) ), I have some... suggestions :D.

RC1 is hopefully last test version before SE 3.2 - so I'll only fix bugs/crashes for the next few weeks.
But after SE 3.2, SE 3.3 is ready for suggestions - well, at least until AGOT starts ;)
  • Like 2

Huston..., we have a problem! :D

Today I've just reinstalled OS (I was borring and have nothing else to do :) ), so, I had to reinstall all my programs also.

I saved my old Subtitle Editor folder to a new partition, and I overwrite just the new files (but without Dictionary and Language subfolders) from the brand new one SE3.2RC1 release.
Guess what!

When I start the program, I get this message: Syntax error at line 5494.

I went to nikse.dk web page, to download an executable SE file, but there is just SE 3.1. Anyway, I start to install that version, then I overwrite the new files from SE 3.2

Same error at start.

For now, is not such a big deal, I've just ignore that message, and the program is working. How? Why? I don't know.
Looking forward for instructions! :D

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Huston..., we have a problem! :D

Well, I don't think NASA will send helping spaceships any time soon - they just closed the shuttle program :(

3.2 RC1 is a portable version - should not be saved in the "Program files" folder - and should probably not overwrite files installed with the installer.
Works best from something like F:\Download\Tools\SE ;)

About the "Syntax error at line 5494." I'm completely blank.
Do try just extracting SE 3.2 RC1 to a new folder (not under "Program files").

Well, for all those programs that are not in MS package, I've plenty of partition to install on. :) (2 TB should be enough for my needs, right now :D )

SE is one of that "other" programs, so it is not instaled under Program Files.

I thought that error mesage might be from some code source line, I don't know either :) .

Anyway, till now is working, but I noticed something else: some of user saved names or words as well, are gone after overwriting just some files from SE 3.2 (I mean, I didn't copy the user dictionary from SE3.2, I choose to keep my "old" one, but seems somehow, some words, names are just vanished :) ).

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hi Nikse!

Just wondering if there's any way to import subtitles from Apple's .m4v files? I have not found any programs which do this, so I wondered if by using OCR a future version of SE could do it?

Keep up the fantastic work on SE! :)

GeirDM

@geirdm Space Cowboy!