Subtitle Edit (open source subtitle editor)

Nikse

• 2 months later...

Yo! If you're bored you can always check out the latest version of SE - 3.3.2 :)

• New: Added a few new subtitle formats
  • New:Italian language - thx Johnny B. Goode
  • New:Turkish language - thx Ça?da?
  • New:Can now export to Blu-ray sup/VobSub from OCR window
  • New:Can save to VobSub from dvdrip 'Choose language' window
  • Improved: OCR: MUCH better OCR of italics when using Tesseract
  • Improved:OCR: Added some detection of music symbols when using Tesseract
  • Improved:Waveform now performs better when many lines are selected
  • Improved:Waveform now has focused rectangle
  • Improved:Network mode more stable (auto-restart)
  • Improved:Updated Czech language file - thx Trottel
  • Improved:Updated German language file - thx Christoph Kitsche
  • Improved:Updated Portuguese language file - thx moob
  • Improved:Remembers size of controls in main window better - thx George/Leszek
  • Improved:Format Sami: html-decodes text + reads class attributes better
  • Improved:Batch convert can now also "Fix common errors" and more - thx Adem
  • Improved:Volume level is now remembered (no longer in settings) - thx fox
  • Improved:Some improvements to language detection - thx fox/mihai
  • Improved:Better import of ssa/ass from Matroska files - thx Mike
  • Fixed: VobSub files created by SE now have better compatibility - thx George
  • Fixed: Possible crash+bug in 'Fix common errors' on selected lines - thx Dan
  • Fixed: Drag'n'drop of large Blu-ray sup files - thx AT
  • Fixed: Minor fix in 'Fix common errors -> Fix invalid italic tags' - thx azu
  • Fixed: List view height in "Set sync point" etc. with large font - thx fox
  • Fixed: Can now load ass files with "[V4 Styles]" in header - thx Derek
  • Fixed: "Frame mode" no longer auto-changes duration/end-time - thx Gerard

Also, Romanian language auto-detect should work.

EDITED: formatting...

Thank you Nik ! :)

But :) , as always  :) , I want some more! :D

So, I noticed that some scripts have a small error like:

The<i>Bombshell</i> will be on Broadway 

and SE does not correct that when I use "Fix common errors..."

Is it possible to fix that small bug? :)

doc

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Me again! :D

I think <i>hit list</i>might be
quite a good title, don't you?

From left to right is working, but seems to be a problem as you see :D

doc

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Me again! :D

I think <i>hit list</i>might be
quite a good title, don't you?

From left to right is working, but seems to be a problem as you see :D

doc

Thx for testing :)

I had written code for this, but it just did not work... but it should work now though: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (test version...)

Testing ???

You're joking, I'm working, I'm hard working with SE, I don't know any other program to edit subtitles :D but just Subtitle Edit :)

Thank you Nik !

doc

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Me again :D

I know we have an option to add musical symbols to a line - from Menu or, much funny :) , from a right click mouse :) BUT :D here comes what I want: 

- some lines marked as "song lyrics" have that musical symbol at the begining of line

Can someone :D do something and write some code in order to add a musical symbol at the end of a line who start with one, when I (we) use "Fix common errors" option? :)

More of that, but I'm not very sure if that is correct, is it possible that every line who is marked as "song lyrics" to start with an uppercase letter?

And related to that, is it possible, when a line is ended with a musical symbol, to make that the very first line without musical symbols to start with an uppercase letter?

Don't hate me! :D

doc

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Could it be possible to add some type of control to hide / display the lines selected for deletion when using the “remove text from the hearing impaired”?.

There are some CCs that are extraordinarily rich in HI captions, and distinguishing the garden variety, which are almost always removed, from the tricky ones, is challenging at times:

Single expressions like (grunts), (scoffs), (laughter) etc, could be hid, and allow a clearer view of lines that need double-checking and might otherwise be lost in scrutiny.

A toggle that would allow correctors to hide/display HI captions by type would help eliminate some unintentional deletions, such as lines containing colons that are integral to the phrase being spoken. (I confess, I’ve done it multiple times, and I’m always banging my head on the keyboard for that.)

I’m aware this may be a low-priority refinement. But if it is not feasible, could I ask for some form of distinction between lines? Like a coloured grid, or something to that effect?

Thanks. =)

The chickens are revolting!

- some lines marked as "song lyrics" have that musical symbol at the begining of line
Can someone :D do something and write some code in order to add a musical symbol at the end of a line who start with one, when I (we) use "Fix common errors" option? :)
More of that, but I'm not very sure if that is correct, is it possible that every line who is marked as "song lyrics" to start with an uppercase letter?

And related to that, is it possible, when a line is ended with a musical symbol, to make that the very first line without musical symbols to start with an uppercase letter?

Hi doc!

Had to think a bit about this one - well, gave it a try anyway ;)
I'll try to add this to next version - probably with an option to choose what music symbol style you like:

? double style ?

or

? single style

Then a new element in "Fix common errors" will fix music symbols according to the wanted style.

• Like 1

Could it be possible to add some type of control to hide / display the lines selected for deletion when using the “remove text from the hearing impaired”?.

There are some CCs that are extraordinarily rich in HI captions, and distinguishing the garden variety, which are almost always removed, from the tricky ones, is challenging at times:

Single expressions like (grunts), (scoffs), (laughter) etc, could be hid, and allow a clearer view of lines that need double-checking and might otherwise be lost in scrutiny.

A toggle that would allow correctors to hide/display HI captions by type would help eliminate some unintentional deletions, such as lines containing colons that are integral to the phrase being spoken. (I confess, I’ve done it multiple times, and I’m always banging my head on the keyboard for that.)

I’m aware this may be a low-priority refinement. But if it is not feasible, could I ask for some form of distinction between lines? Like a coloured grid, or something to that effect?

Hi Alice!

You can show only 'colon'-related fixes by clicking on the check-boxes in the upper part of the window.

I could add coloring to the list view if the line is tricky. Is tricky lines, lines with a colon and a space before the colon, like "So everybody says: 'Go faster'"  or what defines a tricky line?

Hi Alice!

You can show only 'colon'-related fixes by clicking on the check-boxes in the upper part of the window.
I could add coloring to the list view if the line is tricky. Is tricky lines, lines with a colon and a space before the colon, like "So everybody says: 'Go faster'" or what defines a tricky line?

Hi, Nikse =)

Unchecking an option results in that action not being performed, I gather.

Using this technique as a way to hide generic HI captions requires that the corrector checks the option back again, else we end with a partial removal of HI captions.

I understand your concept, but in that case, wouldn’t it be possible to add a column next to the “Remove text between” one?... “Hide Only”? That way, we wouldn't be tweaking the default settings each new sync.
Also, to add a third option under “Remove text before a colon”:
“Only if it is a single word”

By “tricky lines” I mean, yes, these lines with colons, provided there’s more than one word preceding it. But I also mean any sequence having more than one HI caption in a paragraph. I like your idea of highlighting such types. In fact, I think is much more elegant than placing a grid. I hope it is feasible.

Incidentally, I think I’ve spotted a bug regarding removal of HI captions in versions 3.2 and up. Consider this sequence: (This is an actual caption. Belongs to The Good Wife 4x13)

00:15:27,846 --> 00:15:29,681
- even if it was one week.
CANNING: Objection.

When running the removal of HI captions, version 3.1 renders it right:

- Objection.

Version 3.2 and up renders it wrong:

Objection.

(Notice the absence of a dash on the second line.)
This seems to be a problem with names ending in ING.
You substitute CANNING with CANNINT, and the rendering is correct in any version.

Just to be clear: The dash on the first line is irrelevant. I added it while correcting the sub. Dash or no dash, capital E or no capital E in "even"... No combination of dashes/capitals affects the end result.

Hi Alice,

I've tried to fix the bug here + added some 'syntax warning color' in the fix list grid: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip

Does it work better?

Works like a charm, thank you very much.
The warning highlight allows an easy identification of lines containing colons that should be left untouched.

In fact, that makes my "only-if-one-word" suggestion when removing HI captions, not that important.

On the other hand, I may have been too fearful of other types of tricky lines: I'm not seeing any added benefit highlighting parenthetical text with more than one word. I'm sorry I bothered you with that one.

Thanks much =).

Hi, guys, I've registered here for one reason only (for now) - Subtitle Edit.

I've been working in the area of subtitling for 15 years so I hope pro subtitlers are welcome here.

I should also add that I'm not affiliated with any distributors or copyright owners.

This looks like a great place to exchange experiences with other subtitlers.

Cheers,

Marko

P.S. Nik, how do I update the Croatian language version?

It contains several mistakes. I will not use it, but others might definitely find it useful

(it looks awkward to me as software terms don't translate too well sometimes).

Hi Marko!

Welcome to the forum :)

You can update a language file, like "[subtitle Edit folder]Languageshr-HR.xml", by editing it with notepad or an xml editor.

Please send it to me afterwards :)