Subtitle Edit (open source subtitle editor)

Nikse

Hi,

hope don't mind I'm asking a question...

I have Sub A that have the right upper and lower case but it out of sync and Sub B that perfectly sync but upper and lower case not so perfect,

so how can I using Sub A but with the timing of Sub B

Thx.

If the amount of lines is the same you can try the following:

1. Open the file with the correct upper lower case first

2. File - Import timecodes (the file with the correct syc)

See if this works for you!

Fantastic, as always, Nikse.

Since the usual situation is that you post an update and some of us say thanks, is there anyway we can help YOU out? I'll be sure to send a donation even though I already did when I started using SubtitleEdit.

Here's a question I'd like to know the answer to: How many of us here have actually sent at least a small donation via PayPal? I mean, Nikse is doing better work than many profit-oriented companies and I'm wondering how many of us here recognize this and appreciate it, truly.

All the best, Nikse and the rest of you folks here.

Thx for the nice words markog :)

I'm happy if you keep releasing subtitles and report bugs where you find them - a donation is of course also welcome ;)

An amazing piece of software, well done!

I have a question: in Subtitle Workshop if I wanted to shift some lines earlier or later, I was selecting them and then pressed ctrl+shift+N or ctrl+shift+H. Each press was shifting 100 ms (configurable). Is this possible in Subtitle Edit?

An amazing piece of software, well done!

I have a question: in Subtitle Workshop if I wanted to shift some lines earlier or later, I was selecting them and then pressed ctrl+shift+N or ctrl+shift+H. Each press was shifting 100 ms (configurable). Is this possible in Subtitle Edit?

thx :)

Check the shortcuts in Options -> Settings -> Shortcuts - under "Adjust" you will find "Move selected lines 100 ms forward/back". Also, check the waveform: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Help#waveform

Nikse, you deserve it.
Funny thing: whenever you think there's a way to improve SubtitleEdit, Nikse beats you to it.

I've tried it with a question about adding support for extended SRT format... And yes, you guessed it, it was already there. :)

But let me try asking for this, Nikse:
Can you add an (sub)option to check for subtitle durations (if they're too short or too long), but in a way that you can define the shortest duration for two-line subtitles? I'm asking because for now, when you check, SE checks if the subtitles are shorter than X and longer than Y. Which is OK, but two-line subtitles should last longer than single-line ones. So if I have a two-line subtitle that is 1.5 s long, SE says it's OK, even though it's obviously too short on the screen.
Ideally, I'd like to see this:
Min. duration for one-liners: X1
Max. duration for one-liners: X2
Min. duration for two-liners: Y1
Max. duration for two-liners: Y2

With optional check box(es) for those who don't need this.
Can you do it? Actually, let me rephrase: will you do it? Because I know you can. :)

@ markog

SE already does change duration times (based on you Options-Settings, durations/CPS) but will not expand the duration when the next line is starting. The line will be expanded if there is "space".

Corrected me if I'm wrong but the base subtitle (mostly English) is made in a special way, translating to other languages (including merge/split subtitles) changes also the amount of characters.

In Dutch you loose easy 30% of the amount of original amount of lines. As you have to sync anyway  I would not know how Nikse can do that.

But hey, he is the code wizard, maybe he find a solution?

P.S. If there is one thing I would love to have is an option to indicate the camera / screen switch in order to sync even more closely...

Thanks for the prompt answer. I should have invested more time in checking the Shortcuts tab before asking...

Some more questions:

1. In the Find and Replace dialog windows, is there an option to search for exact words? (searching only for "under" will not find "understand")

2. What does the "regular expression" radio button do?

3. In Greek DVDs, professional translators usually write xxx'yyy. The Word spell-checker correctly identifies them as mistakes, since in my language you write xxx' yyy or xxx 'yyy (there's always a white space before or after the apostrophe). Therefore before spell-checking, I have to manually add the missing white spaces. When I ask SE to find the apostrophe, it shows some strange behaviour:

a. It finds xxx'yyy. In the text box, I move right after the apostrophe and add a space (so it becomes xxx' yyy). While the cursor is on the white space, I press F3. SE continues fine.

b. If I correct it to xxx 'yyy and move the cursor after the apostrophe, when pressing F3 it finds again the apostrophe (which is before the point where the cursor is), so I have to press F3 again to continue. This does not seem normal.

Thanks for the prompt answer. I should have invested more time in checking the Shortcuts tab before asking...

Some more questions:

1. In the Find and Replace dialog windows, is there an option to search for exact words? (searching only for "under" will not find "understand")

2. What does the "regular expression" radio button do?

3. In Greek DVDs, professional translators usually write xxx'yyy. The Word spell-checker correctly identifies them as mistakes, since in my language you write xxx' yyy or xxx 'yyy (there's always a white space before or after the apostrophe). Therefore before spell-checking, I have to manually add the missing white spaces. When I ask SE to find the apostrophe, it shows some strange behaviour:

a. It finds xxx'yyy. In the text box, I move right after the apostrophe and add a space (so it becomes xxx' yyy). While the cursor is on the white space, I press F3. SE continues fine.

b. If I correct it to xxx 'yyy and move the cursor after the apostrophe, when pressing F3 it finds again the apostrophe (which is before the point where the cursor is), so I have to press F3 again to continue. This does not seem normal.

1+2) You can use "regular expressions" for this... regular expressions are powerful search pattern matching expressions - e.g."bunderb" will only search for "under"... you can also right-click in the find text box when using regex for some help - and also see more here (or google it):  http://www.regular-expressions.info/wordboundaries.html

3) Ah, thx - looks like a bug - could you test this portable beta version: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip ?

1+2) You can use "regular expressions" for this... regular expressions are powerful search pattern matching expressions - e.g."bunderb" will only search for "under"... you can also right-click in the find text box when using regex for some help - and also see more here (or google it):  http://www.regular-expressions.info/wordboundaries.html

3) Ah, thx - looks like a bug - could you test this portable beta version: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip ?

Thanks for the tips about regular expressions. They will be helpful.

The bug is fixed in the portable beta, well done.

When joining subtitles, I click on Add..., load video1.srt, then click again on Add..., load video2.srt. SE orders them in reverse order: up is video2.srt, under that is video1.srt. It seems I cannot order them correctly somehow. Am I doing something wrong?

You can always go to Tools > Sort by > Start time, maybe?

Thanks for the answer, but this is irrelevant. You may have not understood what I'm trying to do.

The group has released the movie in two parts, video-cd1 and video-cd2. I have the subtitles for this release in two srt files, but I don't have the video files (and I cannot find them anywhere). I have some other release in a single video file. What I want to do is to join the two srt files in one and then sync the new srt with the video I've got. In Subtitle Workshop, I was adding the two srt files, then specifying the frame rate and SW was joining the two segments into one, always without a problem (if I also had the video files, there was even no need to specify the frame rate - I was just specifying that part1.srt was corresponding to part1.avi and then SW was doing the rest.)

Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong, this does not seem to work in SE.

• 2 months later...

When joining subtitles, I click on Add..., load video1.srt, then click again on Add..., load video2.srt. SE orders them in reverse order: up is video2.srt, under that is video1.srt. It seems I cannot order them correctly somehow. Am I doing something wrong?

​Join subtitles will join subtitles with time codes already in sync... could SE be improved with a better title or a small note/description, like "Join subtitles (with time codes already in sync)?

If you open video1.srt and use Tools -> Append subtitle... choose video2.srt, the SE will allow you to use "Visual sync" on video2.srt before appending it

You can also open the first subtitle and right click on the last line in the list view and choose "Insert subtitle after this line"... and sync the new lines via waveform or 'set start of offset the rest" button or "show selected lines earlier/later" or ...

(EDIT: Sorry for the late answer - I've had trouble accessing the forum)

Edited by Nikse

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, nikse, I shall check what you propose and, if necessary, I shall revert.

Another question: I have an SRT file movie1.srt (from a dvd subrip) and the relevant video file. The SRT is perfectly in sync with the video file. However, there are a lot of OCR mistakes and I don't have the time correcting them manually. I found another SRT file, movie2.srt, which does not have mistakes but it is synced for another release.

In Subtitle Workshop, there is a very useful feature (Edit > Timings > Adjust > Adjust to synchronized subtitles).

First you load the movie2.srt (file without mistakes, but out of sync) and then you ask SW to adjust the timings to those of movie1.srt (file with mistakes, but in sync).

I have now moved to Windows x64 and for some reason this feature does not work anymore in SW.

The question: is there an easy way to do this in Subtitle Edit?

Edit: ignore my question, I found how to do it in SE. File > Import Time Codes...

I was expecting to find the command in the Sync menu -- I hadn't checked under the File menu.

Edited by amerzone
Solved

Hello,

I have been missing Subtitile Edit since switching to OS X. I have tried running it using CrossOver, however, it doesn't work properly. The only viable option I have is running SE on a WIndows virtual machine, but that requires lots of space and CPU resources. Does anyone happen to know how to run SE on OS X using Wine or CrossOver or any other method?

Virtual Windows 7 occupies almost 30 GB space on hard drive and consumes considerable amount of CPU and RAM resources. This is the option I have been utilizing to run Subtitile Edit since switching to OS X, but it's very inconvinient and I am sure there's a different way to run SE.