Subtitles Stopped

honeybunny

you are somehow right, kabracity. I read that most of the people agree credits should be kept... we're now waiting for Gabriel to agree (both that credits should be kept and that he'll -or another moderator- will cooperate with us).

There's no another moderatos in subtitulos... just he

There's no another moderatos in subtitulos... just he

And probably he have dinner right now ! :)

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

I discovered this site a short while ago and since then I've always downloaded subtitles from here because they're the best around. I understand how frustrating it is to have your subtitles taken and redistribuited without proper credit but my question is: what do you want to accomplish with stopping releasing subtitles? If you're trying to get people to stop stealing your subtitles, I think it's pretty obvious your move is useless, because if someone doesn't care about being fair, they won't start caring just because you're on a strike. And if they don't have now your subtitles to steal anymore, you can be sure sooner or later other sources for subtitles will come and they'll keep stealing, just from other sources. And it won't matter if those subtitles will be less good than yours, because yours won't be released anyway, so those will be the only ones available.

So this strike is completely useless and it only accomplishes one thing: punish all the people that depend on you. I assure you I understand how frustrating it is not to have your work properly credited because I make graphics, spend hours on them and it does happen that people take them and don't credit. Does it annoy me? Yes. Have I stopped making graphics or went on a strike? No. I think the main point is: do you make subtitles because you want to be thanked or do you make subtitles to help people that need them? I know it's hard work, but as I said, I do stuff too and it's hard work for me too but I don't punish the people that appreciate my graphics only because some other people steal them.

Also, I'm sorry but this is the internet and even though in theory stealing is wrong and we all agree on that and something should be done, we also have to be realistic: once you put something out there on the web, you can be sure someone's gonna steal it and someone that should take care of that, isn't going to. You either learn to deal with it or you shut your site alltogether. It's not fair, but it's the reality.

I've been using your subtitles because English isn't my first language. But I do speak english enough to watch my favorite TV shows without your subtitles, so this affects me relatively. But it saddens me to think about all those people, especially the hearing impaired, being unable to watch their shows because you want to get a revenge against someone, the admin of that spanish site, who has clearly proven he couldn't care less anyway.

To conclude, a curiosity: what about those people who made donations to your site, spending their own money, and now they don't get what they paid for? Are you going to give them their money back?

• Like 2

Having been a moderator on several sites I KNOW how hard it is to find people who are both willing and able to police the boards. Burn out is a problem as is life. That said if you pay attention to who is posting what you can, fairly quickly, learn who would be a good moderator. Appoint them and let them run. Release the bad ones as soon as you spot them and replace them as quickly. No one person can effectively moderate/police a forum/website. It is just not possible. But you can appoint a slew of them and with enough you can keep order. I doubt if HB and company will ever get satisfaction from Gabriel but we have sure stirred up a hornets nest, all the while keeping, for the most part, civil.

I, too, hope this ends soon as the medical shows (Grey's, Private Practice) and the CSI's are difficult without our subs.

Peace out.

I discovered this site a short while ago and since then I've always downloaded subtitles from here because they're the best around. I understand how frustrating it is to have your subtitles taken and redistribuited without proper credit but my question is: what do you want to accomplish with stopping releasing subtitles? If you're trying to get people to stop stealing your subtitles, I think it's pretty obvious your move is useless, because if someone doesn't care about being fair, they won't start caring just because you're on a strike. And if they don't have now your subtitles to steal anymore, you can be sure sooner or later other sources for subtitles will come and they'll keep stealing, just from other sources. And it won't matter if those subtitles will be less good than yours, because yours won't be released anyway, so those will be the only ones available.

So this strike is completely useless and it only accomplishes one thing: punish all the people that depend on you. I assure you I understand how frustrating it is not to have your work properly credited because I make graphics, spend hours on them and it does happen that people take them and don't credit. Does it annoy me? Yes. Have I stopped making graphics or went on a strike? No. I think the main point is: do you make subtitles because you want to be thanked or do you make subtitles to help people that need them? I know it's hard work, but as I said, I do stuff too and it's hard work for me too but I don't punish the people that appreciate my graphics only because some other people steal them.

Also, I'm sorry but this is the internet and even though in theory stealing is wrong and we all agree on that and something should be done, we also have to be realistic: once you put something out there on the web, you can be sure someone's gonna steal it and someone that should take care of that, isn't going to. You either learn to deal with it or you shut your site alltogether. It's not fair, but it's the reality.

I've been using your subtitles because English isn't my first language. But I do speak english enough to watch my favorite TV shows without your subtitles, so this affects me relatively. But it saddens me to think about all those people, especially the hearing impaired, being unable to watch their shows because you want to get a revenge against someone, the admin of that spanish site, who has clearly proven he couldn't care less anyway.

To conclude, a curiosity: what about those people who made donations to your site, spending their own money, and now they don't get what they paid for? Are you going to give them their money back?

You don't understand. No one EVER paid for subtitles on Addic7ed. No one will EVER pay for subtitles on Addic7ed. If someone decides to donate is because he / she wants to or because they want certain features that will become available as a donor. Paying for subtitles it totally wrong!

(the donations we're asking for the moment are for keeping the server alive and for hiring a coder to improve the website - along with adding new features)

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

I really don't have much time to read all this thread right now but, I want to suggest something:

Be more clear and specific (giving examples or list) with what is bothering you, I couldn't understand the exact problem for now.

Maybe you could do it on the main page or something, I'm sure the exact explanation is inside somewhere in this thread, I will read all later but most people won't read all the thread.

I'm sad about this, because it went the way it went, I really think that a more politic solution could be found but I wish the best luck to the subtitles community, of which both addic7ed.com and subtitulos.es are big part but not vital.

I dont agree with you.

Iam not hearing impaired, I do have a problem with understanding spoken English but I can read it well so to properly see the shows I rely on addic7ed

Iam 100% in agreement with Adic7ed even if that means I wont see my favorite shows today 30rock, Big bang, community, the office, outsourced and the league.

Thing is subtitulos.es wont have great English translations today. So i hope they understand that credit has to be given, and the they moderator has to pull his head out of his arse and recognize it.
  • Like 1

By the way, can I have the current opinions of the subbing team? Is the suspension of the releases going to be permanent (ie lifted only when Gabriel improves his administraion), or will it be lifted after a set period of time (if so, can I know the period)?

I do hope it's not going to be permanent. It is akin to cutting off the nose to spite the face.

So this strike is completely useless and it only accomplishes one thin: punish all the people that depend on you. I assure you I understand how frustrating it is not to have your work properly credited because I make graphics, spend hours of them and it does happen that people take them and don't credit. Does it annoy me? Yes. Have I stopped making graphics or went on a strike? No. I think the main point is: do you make subtitles because you want to be thanked or do you make subtitles to help people that need them? I know it's hard work, but as I said, I do stuff too and it's hard work for me too but I don't punish the people that appreciate my graphics only because some other people steal them.

wth...you must be really ignorant, and spend too much on the net that you suffer from online disinhibition effect.
Have a heart, and try imagine yourself in their shoes

its the same with any sub, even fansub(for animes), or manga scanlations for that matter.
its your work, your intellectual properties
if you upload videos on youtube, then someone stole it from you, and have a higher views/subs than you, would you flip out?

And I wont put the strike as useless, as they(subtitulos.es) will struggle to keep up without copy pasting, and ppl will know the truth and boycott them for a total bs they are.

Keep it up, guys.Sooner or later theyre gonna break.Other supporters pls keep the hatemails going.tongue.gif
  • Like 2

I really don't have much time to read all this thread right now but, I want to suggest something:

Be more clear and specific (giving examples or list) with what is bothering you, I couldn't understand the exact problem for now.

Maybe you could do it on the main page or something, I'm sure the exact explanation is inside somewhere in this thread, I will read all later but most people won't read all the thread.

I'm sad about this, because it went the way it went, I really think that a more politic solution could be found but I wish the best luck to the subtitles community, of which both addic7ed.com and subtitulos.es are big part but not vital.

"stealing and removing credits from our subtitles, rudely copy pasting our translations to their site and their admin who never answered any of our questions and requests, even more banned us from their site and forum when asking for the users that removed the credits to be warned"

It's right there on addic7ed.com as news post.
There's also PROOF: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6885487/addic7ed.rar

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Maybe we should call Gabriel?

Vergonzoso lo que acabas de hacer. Me parece tremendo, una cosa es que no nos gusten sus métodos y otra cosa es traspasar un límite que no debe traspasarse.

It's a shame. I don't agree with what you just did. In life there're limits that shouldn't be NEVER tresspassed.

"stealing and removing credits from our subtitles, rudely copy pasting our translations to their site and their admin who never answered any of our questions and requests, even more banned us from their site and forum when asking for the users that removed the credits to be warned"

It's right there on addic7ed.com as news post.
There's also PROOF: http://dl.dropbox.co...87/addic7ed.rar

Yes, that's already been said, and i don't think anyone (that is, anyone not trolling) doubt that there are users there that steal and/or copy content from here. And yes, he banned you. No doubt about that either.
The question is: What exactly do you want him to do?

wth...you must be really ignorant, and spend too much on the net that you suffer from online disinhibition effect.
Have a heart, and try imagine yourself in their shoes

And maybe you can't read properly. You should read my message again. I did put myself in their shoes, I actually am in their shoes even though what I make is not subtitles but graphics. I have stuff stealen from me quite regularly, people not giving credit to my graphics when they use them. I get angry about it but I don't stop making my graphics, punishing people who actually like my graphic and give me proper credit.

In my opinion, ultimately credit isn't such a huge deal: I do graphics because I like to and because I like to share with people who don't. If they credit, I'm happy. If they don't, I'm annoyed but I don't punish everyone. That's all. Again, I do understand their feelings, it's the action they chose to express them that I don't agree with. And again, it's useless. People will keep stealing subtitles as long as subtitles are online.
  • Like 1

There's now fourteen pages of this subject, ranging from reasoned argument, to silly comments and outright abuse.

But what I see now is a classic "You did! I didn't!" situation, from which neither will withdraw, and which no-one can win, if only because the victory cannot be defined.

Maybe it's time to pause, to allow righteous indignation to subside, and to think about resolution.

And to decide what might be the best outcome that can be obtained by agreement between two parties who would better serve themselves, each other, and their patrons, by working in partnership rather than by engaging in continued hostility.

s.

PS: I feel that the way forward should now be left to the Owners/Administrators of the two sites; we have a sufficiency of comments and snipes from the crowd, both the reasonable as well as the inane. As a moderator of this site, I may have to start deleting them as unhelpful.

• Like 1

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.