Subtitles Stopped

honeybunny

@crvenooki you seem pretty smart... but not smart enough. I am European and the website is hosted in Europe, not US.

my bad, didn't look beyond name server that is in Scottsdale, AZ, US, should look up IP: 94.23.219.7, IP Location: Roubaix, France.
but it doesn't mean i'm not right in other things said here :P keywords: copyright law, derivate works, Berne Convention.

If someone gave me that something everyday, i wouldnt thank him, i'd feel humiliated & would try to learn to provide for myself.

& all this , maybe u can't see it kiddo, is nothin but a power play. Competition, at its worst. I saw also somewhere someone saying that Addic7ed sort of "got monopolistic", so they are what they dont want to b ?
In fact u find that normal that our daily subs r held hostage under the fingers of that " other admin" , i mean if they mad @ him, why giv him the power of holding back subs for the whole addic7ed users, even in a strategic point of view it's complete moronicnessitude. If i was this other admin , i'd laugh my ass off , really, & u should know latinos r easy laughing people :P

not to judge any1 but i know a dumb move when i see one, believe me.

@ alex28 : lol u jinxed podnapisi ! fyi the comment on this Bones last ep was : "while Addic7ed is on strike..-here comes some chinese goodies!" lol

@cervnooki : i highly doubt that there is a market for the last aired usa episodes in china lol, again a racist pov , thinking they cant hav community fansubs & are only maffia counterfeiterz lol. ah, stereotypes.

To the first sentence: Do you fell humiliated for not being able of cultivate your own food? Have you learn how to raise a chicken?

@cervnooki : i highly doubt that there is a market for the last aired usa episodes in china lol, again a racist pov , thinking they cant hav community fansubs & are only maffia counterfeiterz lol. ah, stereotypes.

well, your doubts are wrong, market for hot new shows and episodes is enormous. not just china, most of asia.
and i said nothing racist, same shit happened allover eastern europe till last few years.

I foresee an early end for this ego-war. Looks like addic7ed will eat crow and resume their releases without being further addressed and in order to save face will argue that they made their point and taught some lessons.

Seriously, guys - this is so kindergarten stuff!

So, you didn't expect in the first place, that your work would spread across Internet, and some not-so-appreciative guys will do with it what they want?
Come on, think about software publishers! They loosing money every second.
You're just loosing some fame.

If you're a content-based site, you bound to get a bunch of copycats. You have just one advantage - you have this content on your pages first!
So, sooner or later, every one interested in the content, will figure out where's it coming from.
You'll get your fame.

You're doing this voluntarily, yeah, and so on,- but you should've thought of this possibility in the first place, really.

I'm sitting here, right now, doing transcript for my favorite "Burn Notice", to share it - but it's not really my field.

OK, how about this: I've heard you're searching for a programmer to rebuild your site. And god knows, it should be rebuilt. And I'm using your subs for many shows that I watch, cause I'm not from USA and I can only watch them by downloading.

So, I promise that I'll do for you a new site, free of charge, in exchange of your stopping this noncense and continue to do what you're doing best.

I have two conditions, though. I'll make the site with perl, not php thing; and I can do it sometime in January'11, nor earlier.

send me an email and we can talk. We currently have someone working on the new stuff but new ideas never hurt anyone :-)

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

how more stupid can this be?
what type of move is this? the guy "steals" subs and dont answer to you so u shut down everything? yeah, i bet is scared to death by people seeking subs on other sites now. "ooooooooh, fear us, we are losing our consumers to get at you, yeah man, we are out of our minds"
i guess that makes sense. oh, wait....

• Like 1

I am beginning to hold another opinion regarding the matter.

I am wondering whether the strike is worth it in the end. Note that the spat with the Spanish site is just one site. I'm sure the problem is worse in bigger countries like mainland China (People's Republic of China, or PRC for short). Most likely, ten (or more) Chinese websites take Addic7ed English subs and translate them to Chinese, with some sites even selling their translations despite it being derivative work from Addic7ed.

Since that is the case, then I'm questioning, is there any further point in the strike? Let's suppose Gabriel really does what is demanded. Should the strike be called off then? What about the Chinese websites which continue to steal the subs? Is the spat with Gabriel simply because the stealing was far easier to detect due to some of the Addic7ed subbers proficient in Spanish? Suppose a subber (proficient in English and Chinese) joins Addic7ed. Will u guys then call for a strike against all other Chinese websites which steal the subs?

i'm paranoiadizing again ? sry then yall.
I'll wait for a real wikipedia-like subbing site, able to gather the resources instead of wantin to hurt & drain' em (i'm talkin human resources , u, me , yea) or for google voice-2-closed-captions Engine to b operational, then yall can shove ur dreams of grandeur up where yall know. Losers.

I only quoted part of what you said because, well most of what you said was uneducated drivel along with horrid typing skills. I'll admit I put money into the Donation, but then again I have done that numerous times over the year(s), to show my support. From the way you type and think, I can assume you probably don't have a job, or if you do it probably doesn't pay enough to where you can extend a small donation to a team of individuals who do amazing work. That's fine, not everyone can, but don't come here blabbing your nonsense because anyone that reads what you posted can tell immediately that you are an idiot and after that point, nothing you say matters. Good luck waiting for the Google, auto-sub thing. I heard about that and another similar idea like years ago and still nothing has come to fruition from it so keep on waiting for something that has no ETA or signs of coming to life any time soon.

Anyway, I'll find the same subtitles maybe not today, but tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, and you both, addic7ed and subtitulos will have lost one user. I don't know how old are you (Gabriel and Alex) but your acting as children.

Once again, sorry for my English and thanks for read this gibberish.

Sorry to see you go, but all I need to say is "You'll be back!"

ps 2 : also it's not the spanish people u should care about offending or not, but the chinese :P why ? too many comments from ur "partisans" that "now subtitulo will hav to use chinese subs of poor quality" etc... like the quality on addic7ed is flawless ... lol.
Check the comment on this sub's description : http://www.podnapisi.net/en/bones-2005-subtitles-p982726

I have friends that are Chinese here in the states and they even admit that the most the products that come from china are crap. Poorly made because of cheap materials and cheap labor. I feel bad for the workers, and it's not their fault, but the fact remains, the quality of stuff in general is crap. Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is what it is. I'll be the first to admit I drive a foreign car because all the vehicles I've owned that were "Made in the USA" had issues with them. Since I bought my Japanese import, it's never been in the shop ever other than routine scheduled maintenance.

So there, I've even knocked my own country for inferior products.

Not really. Thing is... some people left subtitulos.es because they asked Gabriel to moderate their translations (some users were translating bad.. very bad and were ruining files) and *as far as i understood, i may be wrong tho* he did nothing.
They looked for an alternative and they came on Addic7ed. What happened between them is of little concern to me.

My problem with subtitulos was caused by people removing credits from the English files they got from us. That's what started the whole thing.

I am beginning to hold another opinion regarding the matter.

I am wondering whether the strike is worth it in the end. Note that the spat with the Spanish site is just one site. I'm sure the problem is worse in bigger countries like mainland China (People's Republic of China, or PRC for short). Most likely, ten (or more) Chinese websites take Addic7ed English subs and translate them to Chinese, with some sites even selling their translations despite it being derivative work from Addic7ed.

Since that is the case, then I'm questioning, is there any further point in the strike? Let's suppose Gabriel really does what is demanded. Should the strike be called off then? What about the Chinese websites which continue to steal the subs? Is the spat with Gabriel simply because the stealing was far easier to detect due to some of the Addic7ed subbers proficient in Spanish? Suppose a subber (proficient in English and Chinese) joins Addic7ed. Will u guys then call for a strike against all other Chinese websites which steal the subs?

It looks like Gabriel it's a bit worried for loosing the quality translators, because if he looses them he will probably will have to close the web. I'm Spanish and I can tell that subtitles.es doesn't have in general good translations, there are other small webs that do better jobs although you have to wait several days for the subs. I think that maybe in a desperate way of preventing closing, he allowed the less recommendable behaviour taht led to de coy of subs deleting the original creators.

It looks like Gabriel it's a bit worried for loosing the quality translators, because if he looses them he will probably will have to close the web. I'm Spanish and I can tell that subtitles.es doesn't have in general good translations, there are other small webs that do better jobs although you have to wait several days for the subs. I think that maybe in a desperate way of preventing closing, he allowed the less recommendable behaviour taht led to de coy of subs deleting the original creators.

Overall i think that too, but it's hard to prove it. Mostly he doesn't want his users to know about Addic7ed (that's the reason he refers to us as *the other website*, he removed upload comments and so on).
Oh well, what's done is done.

how more stupid can this be?
what type of move is this? the guy "steals" subs and dont answer to you so u shut down everything? yeah, i bet is scared to death by people seeking subs on other sites now. "ooooooooh, fear us, we are losing our consumers to get at you, yeah man, we are out of our minds"
i guess that makes sense. oh, wait....

since you re gosu, go ahead and make subs in spanish from scratch. then we'll see how gosu you are.

They definatelly have a point, and they WILL achieve something. First of all, those that d/l subs from subtitlos will be unable to find any to download as addic7ed no longer provide source subs. Then they complain to this Gabriel shithead or they stop visiting his site. Then his site gets less impressions and starts losing money from the ads it hosts. After this two things happen. either subtitlos bites the dust or the shithead admin gets down to ban the cheating assholes.
  • Like 1

I foresee an early end for this ego-war. Looks like addic7ed will eat crow and resume their releases without being further addressed and in order to save face will argue that they made their point and taught some lessons.

:lol: Well the point was already proven when Addic7ed went on strike and suddenly everyone on the other site was wondering why the subs for the shows from last night haven't been released. So there's no eating crow, if anything they are just holding out a little longer since it's making more and more people aware as the time presses on. The fact is that Gabriel is a poor site owner/moderator and should have extended the smallest amount of courtesy to the group that the majority of his sites content derives from.
  • Like 1

So the sole point of the strike is only to bring down Gabriel's subtitlos.es?

What about the tens (or even hundreds) of Chinese subtitle websites which steal the subs without crediting Addic7ed also?

thumbs up for both Mr. K and Rm4g3dD0v.

@Kiwi we don`t want to bring subtitulos down. We want them to cooperate with us and remove subtitles that have been stipped of our credits.. and ban or warn the users that did so.
Taking down subtitulos was never our intention.

Since most of you said about Chinese, they always cooperated with us and we're friends with a chinese website. We helped them and they helped us and things are fine.
If they sell subtitles or DVDs i don't (know or) care. Nor i care that Gabriel makes money with subtitulos or stuff like that.

This whole thing was strict about cooperation.

since you re gosu, go ahead and make subs in spanish from scratch. then we'll see how gosu you are.

They definatelly have a point, and they WILL achieve something. First of all, those that d/l subs from subtitlos will be unable to find any to download as addic7ed no longer provide source subs. Then they complain to this Gabriel shithead or they stop visiting his site. Then his site gets less impressions and starts losing money from the ads it hosts. After this two things happen. either subtitlos bites the dust or the shithead admin gets down to ban the cheating assholes.

The strike period will have to be for a long period (at least a month or more) for there to be effect in terms of the ad revenues.

Overall i think that too, but it's hard to prove it. Mostly he doesn't want his users to know about Addic7ed (that's the reason he refers to us as *the other website*, he removed upload comments and so on).

The almost unique reason for survival of subtitulos.es is translation of subs to Spanish, if they had poorer translations, less people is going to download.

And don't tell me that is a bit weird, almost suspicious that a web the size of subtitulos don't have moderators.

If he had any business sense at all, he would have come to you a LONG time ago and said hey, we've been using your English subs to convert into Spanish subs. We have a large team of Spanish translators that can quickly and efficiently translate these for our site. We will give you credit and link to your site for english and other languages and hope you will link/refer members to our site for the various spanish versions of the subs.

thumbs up for both Mr. K and Rm4g3dD0v.

@Kiwi we don`t want to bring subtitulos down. We want them to cooperate with us and remove subtitles that have been stipped of our credits.. and ban or warn the users that did so.
Taking down subtitulos was never our intention.

Since most of you said about Chinese, they always cooperated with us and we're friends with a chinese website. We helped them and they helped us and things are fine.
If they sell subtitles or DVDs i don't care. Nor i care that Gabriel makes money with subtitulos or stuff like that.

This whole thing was strict about cooperation.

I see. Btw, it's nice to know that u have a Chinese partner too. Can u give me the URL to the Chinese partner?

Also, will Addic7ed be hosting Chinese subtitles on Addic7ed website too, or do u still require an English-to-Chinese translator?