Correcting mistakes in translation (so that you don't make it worse ;))

BlackQ

Situation goes as follows: somebody posted a subtitle of a certain transcript, translated in your language. Knowing both languages (original, let's say - English, as well as your own) somewhat better than the first translator, you spy a number of mistakes in said translation. Than you go back to the main page of the episode/film in question, and there you have a "view and edit" option. You click on it and the translation opens. Yey!

Basically, I noticed that you can click inside of every line and make the correction in text, click save and voila! - you've done it! Correction as such is still attributed to The First One (which doesn't bother me, but it might bother the guy/girl who wrote it as such), and onwards we go!

By now, you also notice that there are some unnecessary lines (as we all know - a subtitle is not the same thing as a transcript), like somebody shouting "Come on!" (whatever, really) ten times in ten separate lines.

So, how do you proceed if you want to merge those ten lines into, let's say, two? I've, "cunningly" tried changing timings which only resulted in doubling the lines - leaving the original and my "correction" in the subtitle. Gees, I guess that will work well with players and such! :JFBQ00134070103A:

Also, what are MultiEdit and MultiSave for?

Is there a manual? Is there a Help? How to undo once saved (or worse - multisaved) intervention you made?

As I noticed, even once corrected text, cannot be re-corrected. Stays blocked. :1290892334:Please, help... I really, really didn't want to make things worse. :31:

So, to sum it all, how do I correct what needs to be corrected without making the original translation unusable? Or even, undo all the changes I've made and (if properly tutored ;)) - start over?

Hi, BlackQ

Well... first, don't worry. We won't call the sub police on you.

Secondly, please tell us which subtitle you are referring to, so we can check and undo your doings.

There is no actual manual on how to act with view/edit. But you may want to check the FAQ / Tutorials subforum, There is a wealth of information there.
For example, this post.

I'll examine one of your comments,though. This one:
"By now, you also notice that there are some unnecessary lines (as we all know - a subtitle is not the same thing as a transcript), like somebody shouting "Come on!" (whatever, really) ten times in ten separate lines.
"So, how do you proceed if you want to merge those ten lines into, let's say, two? I've, "cunningly" tried changing timings which only resulted in doubling the lines - leaving the original and my "correction" in the subtitle. Gees, I guess that will work well with players and such!"

The issue here is, you ruled some lines as "unnecessary", wanted to get rid of them, and decided to tweak timings in order to merge them.
I know what you are talking about... These scenes, where mom is searching the missing boy, yelling over and over again "Timmy!",,,,, "Timmy!".... "Timmy!". By the fourth time, you get nauseous, right?.

Well... I'm sorry. But the English subtitles we provide are intended to be as accurate as possible as far as matching spoken words with captions is concerned. If the character yells fifty times "Stop!", we will transcribe it fifty times. And we expect the translations to match this.

That is the way it is. Even the non-HI subtitles are intended to be as thorough as possible. There are many, many reasons people use subtitles, other than what would seem the obvious one of understanding what is being said if you aren't proficient in the source language.

You ought not delete or merge lines in order to accommodate your own personal preferences. If you are convinced a line does not belong, please by all means, contact any of the moderators and express your concerns.

Now, to clarify: We provide primarily English subtitles. On rare occasions, we provide subtitles in other languages.
Our source subtitle ought not be subject to any tweaking, other than corrections needed for obvious mistakes.
Translations are done by users like you, and we appreciate their and your collaboration.

You've done nothing wrong, or nothing that cannot be undone.
On the contrary. I very much appreciate your candor.

Now, tell me which sub you messed so I can fix that =)

Cheers

• Like 1

The chickens are revolting!